What is yoga?
Yoga is a therapy that aims to unite the mind, soul and body. Most yoga styles are derived from ‘hatha yoga’ a type of yoga that focuses on the body and breath and aims to develop control the body through poses (or asanas).
You’ve probably heard that yoga is good for you. You may have even tried yoga and found that it makes you feel better. But what specific health benefits you can expect to receive from him a regular yoga?physical benefits
Physiological Benefits of Yoga
1. Tone muscles and promote weight loss
2. Stable autonomic nervous system equilibrium
3. Pulse rate decreases
4. Respiratory rate decreases
5. Blood Pressure decreases (of special significance for hyporeactors)
6. Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) increases
7. EEG – alpha waves increase (theta, delta, and beta waves also increase during various stages of meditation)
8. EMG activity decreases
9. Cardiovascular efficiency increases
10. Respiratory efficiency increases
Main Styles of Yoga
Ashtanga - Ashtanga is the “workout” form of yoga. It is a series of poses performed sequentially and beginning with sun salutations. Movements are linked to the breath and the poses move continually. It is an aerobic form of yoga and moves quickly.
Iyengar – is a precise style of yoga and one of the most popular in the world. It places much focus on attention to detail and getting the alignment of the poses absolutely right. Iyengar also uses props such as blocks and belts. It is a great style of yoga for the fitness conscious.
Bikram - Bikram developed by Bikram Choudhury, this style of yoga is performed in a heated room. Bikram yoga is sees students performing 26 poses that are designed to cleanse the body and enhance physical strength and balance. It is good for detoxification.