Physical activity is a large part of maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle. We have compiled a list of physical activity tips to help you get active and stay active. An active lifestyle should consist of at least 30 minutes of moderate activity most days of the week. It is important to choose physical activities that you enjoy, and it is always worth trying something new.
Tips to help you get active
- Find an activity you like such as swimming or cycling.
- Minutes count — increase your activity level 10 minutes at a time. Every little bit helps.
- Active time can be social time — look for group activities or classes in your community, or get your family or friends to be active with you.
- Walk wherever and whenever you can.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator, when possible.
- Carry your groceries home.
Benefits of Physical Activity
Start slowly. Cardiac events, such as a heart attack, are rare during physical activity. But the risk does go up when you suddenly become much more active than usual. For example, you can put yourself at risk if you don’t usually get much physical activity and then all of a sudden do vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, like shoveling snow. That’s why it’s important to start slowly and gradually increase your level of activity.
It’s easy to get out of shape when you have trouble just getting around, but you can become more physically active. Create an exercise plan around an activity you like, ease into the exercise, and congratulate yourself as you’re able to meet your fitness goals.