Swimming is a great workout because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water. As well as being fun, swimming is a great way to keep fit, stay healthy and make friends. Swimming is a healthy activity that you can continue for a lifetime. It is a low-impact activity that has many physical and mental health benefits.
2. It is good for the health of your lungs and also reduces the risk of stroke, heart attack and diabetes.
3. It is perfect for those people who have a hard time carrying out weight-bearing, land-based physical activities. This is because your weight in water is about 1/10 of your weight on land.
4. For pregnant women as well as for people who are suffering from arthritis and back pain problem, there can be no better workout choice than swimming.
Losing weight and weight control
1. There are other health benefits of swimming. As an endurance sport, swimming allows you to lose or control your weight. It burns about three calories per mile per pound of body weight. To be effective for weight control, you need to swim at least two or three times a week for at least half an hour.
2. However, make sure that you do swim continuously at the pool. Stopping every five minutes to have a chat with your lane partners won’t cut it!
3. If you are overweight, swimming is the best way to lose weight as you will be able to work out safely without putting too much stress on your joints.